Saturday, July 16, 2011

I bet you didn't know I could fish?

Yep that's right. I'm a pretty decent fisherwoman. Not only can I knit and crochet like a fiend, I can bait. cast, catch and clean fish. This past spring I was out on the pier several days a week and had some great catches of large yellow perch. So far perch are my favourite target species, as they are easy to catch and clean and they taste great. I will be brushing up on my bass fishing skills on Soyers Lake, Haliburton during the first week of August and I am really looking forward to it.

 I've always been interested in the outdoors, fishing, hunting and camping but no one else around me was. So this spring I decided to stop waiting for someone to teach me and got out there and taught myself. I started out knowing next to nothing, and actually spent a month or so holding my rod upside down, but I made some friends on the pier and online and they have pointed me in the right direction.  Now I can catch my own minnows for bait, put them on the hook properly, tie a drop shot rig, unhook a fish, and can scale and fillet them without making too much of a mess.

Since March I've caught Yellow Perch, White Perch, Rock Bass, Sheepshead, Brown Bullhead, Round Goby,Pumpkin Seed and Smallmouth Bass. Not too bad for a beginner, eh?

No comments: