Monday, November 30, 2009

So I joined Weight Watchers

I want to go on a beach vacation this winter and I don't want to have to wear cover ups and sarongs to hide my cottage cheese thighs and jiggly belly. I'm 28, I ought to be wearing sexy bikini's and not camoflauging myself in "skirt-ini's".
I wasn't always big, I was a skinny, gangly child. But upon my diagnosis of epilepsy I gained *a lot* of weight whilst bouncing from one medication to another. Eventually I just went off all my anti-convulsants as they caused so many side effects and I was still having seizures. Once I went off the meds, my weight dropped significantly. Then I started having babies. I gained a tremendous amount of weight with my first baby because I developed pre-eclampsia. After having my son, I lost some weight, mostly fluid, but gained more when I developed a severe case of post-partum depression. Food was a solace for me and I developed several bad food habits and an addiction to Coke. I got pregnant again and miscarried, furthering my depression. A few months later I got pregnant yet again, this time going on to deliver a healthy boy. My bad food habits continued through out this period and I gained several pounds. My worst habit was bingeing on chips and junk food in the afternoons while my kids were napping. I could polish off a large bag of chips all by myself in one sitting. It was embarrassing and I would try to hide the fact by buying more chips so that my husband wouldn't notice that I had ate a whole bag in one afternoon. Coke was pretty much all I ever drank. Otherwise, I cooked and ate healthily for the most part and portion control was never a problem for me. I don't like to sit down and eat a large meal, I prefer to nibble and graze throughout the day. Which would be fine if it weren't for the bad foods I nibbled on.
I lost 10 lbs and 16 inches in the spring of 09 using the free diet program found at Sparkpeople.com. I really like this program and it was very easy to follow. Then we went on a family vacation to the cottage and I totally let go and ate whatever I wanted and didn't work out at all. I gained 5 lbs in a week!! When we got back home, I gave up the whole diet and and exercise regime and went back to my old habits. Over the course of the summer and fall I gained back 9 lbs and several inches and outgrew some of my clothes. I decided to use the money I made in my online business to buy a three month subscription to Weight Watchers, figuring that if I paid for it I'd stick to it.
So far I have lost 4 pounds and several inches and I'm starting to see some muscle definition in my upper arms. I have 24 Weight Watchers points to spend throughout the day and 35 to use to splurge on a treat during the week. I can earn more points by exercising. I have quit my Coke habit, at GREAT difficulty and have been sticking to the diet. I do dislike exercise, but have found that taking my dog for long walks in the evening and doing some Tae Bo videos aren't so bad. Weight Watchers also encourages me to have a goal weight in mind to work towards, whereas before I just wanted to play it by ear and see how much I could lose before I got tired of it. I would like to lose 30 lbs, putting me at about 155. According to the BMI charts, at my height (5'3") I shouldn't be more than 141 but I really don't think that is realistic. I don't want to lose all my curves and I come from a family of curvy women. I like having a womanly figure and I think that at 141 pounds I would look like a teenage boy! I am also aiming at becoming a size 10. I am a 12/14 now and I would really like to be a 10 again.
I watch shows like "X-Weighted" ,"You Are What You Eat" and "Eat Yourself Sexy" to maintain motivation, and I love hearing my husband tell me that I look like I've lost weight. On Saturday I found that some of my clothes were fitting much better and I've started needing to wear a belt on my jeans that were snug when I bought them. I am surprised at the difference only 4 pound can make. Although the scale is being very stubborn at going down, the inches are melting off at a satisfying rate. I don't really understand how I can lose inches yet not pounds but whatever...as long as I'm seeing results!!!

No comments: